AGM 2022 – Church House, Westminster
The original Church House, founded in 1887, was built to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The current building was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and was officially opened by HM King George VI on 10 June 1940.
During the Blitz, the building suffered a direct hit but due to its exceptional construction only minimal damage was done. On 10/11 May 1940, the chamber of the House of Commons was destroyed and a bomb passed through the floor of the Lords without exploding which resulted in both Houses moving to Church House on 13 May where they conducted their business until June 1941. From late June 1941 until October 1950, the Commons met in the Lords Chamber, while the Lords met in the Robing Room of the House of Lords.
In 1945 the first meetings of the United Nations Preparatory Commission and the UN Security Council were held in Church House.
The building was granted Grade II listed status in 1988. It is used as a conference centre when the Church of England’s General Synod is not in session.