Joel Gascoyne’s Engraved Maps of Stepney, 1702-04
Published in association with the Guildhall Library with an explanatory booklet containing an introduction by W. Ravenhill and D. Johnson.
This publication is no longer for sale
The large Stepney map was originally printed from eight irregularly shaped pieces of copper. With the advantages of modern technology, the Society decided to print the map on five sheets of equal dimensions. It is supplemented with Gascoyne’s three surveys of the hamlets of Bethnal Green, Limehouse and Mile End.
The explanatory booklet has been digitised and is made available through the HathiTrust Digital Library – click here to view – click on the arrows to turn the pages.