Berkeley Square to Bond Street, The Early History of the Neighbourhood
by B.H. Johnson, published by John Murray in association with the London Topographical Society.
This publication is no longer for sale
The book represents an attempt to make good a noticeable gap in the recorded history of the west end of London. It deals with the lands which, in the second half of the seventeenth century, formed three separate holdings: one owned by the Earl of Clarendon, the Lord Chancellor, and the others by John, first Lord Berkley of Stratton. The story of their ownership begins in 1664 when the Earl of Clarendon obtained a grant of land abutting on Piccadilly from the Crown, part of which he immediately sold to Lord Berkley.